Saturday, February 21, 2015

 

More Firmly Fixt to the Glebe

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Branch Giles (April 27, 1795):
I shall be rendered very happy by the visit you promise me. The only thing wanting to make me completely so is a more frequent society with my friends. It is the more wanting as I am become more firmly fixt to the glebe. If you visit me as a farmer, it must be as a condisciple: for I am but a learner; an eager one indeed but yet desperate, being too old now to learn a new art. However I am as much delighted and occupied with it as if I was the greatest adept. I shall talk with you about it from morning till night, and put you on very short allowance as to political aliment. Now and then a pious speculation for the French and Dutch republicans, returning with due dispatch to clover, potatoes, wheat &c.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?