Tuesday, December 26, 2017

 

Christmas Comfort Food

Minimalist recipe for creton (not for purists):
Cook ground pork and diced onion with allspice, barely covered by water, in a frying pan over a very low heat until the pork turns from pink to white and the onions become soft. While cooking, stir often to prevent clumps. Chill in small, shallow containers until jelled. Serve cold on toast or saltine crackers.
It's not a health food, but I only eat it around Christmas time. Mémère (my grandmother) made creton, and she lived to age 99. My mother made it, and she lived to age 93. My siblings and I make it, and now my son makes it. It's an acquired taste, and some people find it unsavory. Good, because that leaves more for me.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?